Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 07:14:11 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I found the aussie website very helpful, Joy, as well as a description of Dr. Smillie's methods in a newsletter someone referred me to. After reading these, I see that I was thinking baby led latching was "foolproof" but I see that it is mentioned about re-attaching baby if it hurts, and how baby often ends up almost horizontal, that it may take a long time, and that baby may need to be fed a little to calm her down so that she can continue.  I still see babies attaching just on the nipple and so it seems helpful to me to sometimes show mom's some strategies to help baby latch with a nipple sandwich or even a "teacup" hold at times. The main thing I get from the baby led latching sites is to use skin to skin, which I do, to NOT push on baby's head (of course not), and to give it time. 
I really was thinking that if using the method, the baby would attach perfectly every time, but I see that is not the case at all. So I think I was using this method all along.
I was not able to get any useful info from the biological nurturing website, Heather, because the "how to" part of it was said to be under construction. Thanks all for discussing this important tiopic.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2