From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 09:25:52 +0800
Hi everyone
I was reading an article today that mentioned that the IgA and
kappa-casein in human milk inhibits the adherence of Helicobacter
pylori to human gastric mucosa.
Helicobacter has been identified as the cause of most peptic ulcers
in humans, and there is a big push to biopsy stomach linings during
endoscopy to identify the bug, then treat it with one or two weeks of
two or three antibiotics plus an acid reducing medication.

I am wondering is there have been any studies comparing rates of
peptic ulcers in people who were breast or bottle fed, and if there
is a dose-relationship between length of breastfeeding and risk of
peptic ulcers.
Conversely, is there an increase in the rate of peptic ulcer now, as
the generation who were mostly bottle fed grow up into adults (with
indigestion!!!).

Enquiring minds want to know!!!

Fiona
(who was only breastfed for 3 months, but has avoided an ulcer so
far!!)

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia