From:
"<Wendy Kiggins>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:45:52 -0400
Does anyone out there have any information about the current recommendations
regarding breastfeeding (full term baby) when mom has CMV?  We are working
with an adoptive mom who started lactating when she found out her daughter
was pregnant (yes, that is strange but wonderful!).  The infant she is
breastfeeding belongs to her step-daughter, who is unable to take care of
the baby, so the step-mother now has custody of the baby and has been
breastfeeding the baby. The woman who is breastfeeding has CMV.  Her doctor
told her not to breastfeed at all, but she is still breastfeeding anyway.
Please let me know what the current recommendations are re:  CMV and
breastfeeding. Do the benefits of giving the baby breastmilk outweigh the
risk of the baby contracting CMV?

Wendy Kiggins, R.D.
WIC Nutritionist
Hampton, VA