From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 07:43:40 -0500
Yes, Theresa, and unfortunately, there are those individuals who are so
threatened by someone who has different information, opinions, etc, and who
is garnering a portion of the patient's "trust" (as if that were a limited
cup)....that they will pull out all the stops to make a threatening
professional "stop," or at least nervous enough to be really worried.

I have had my information and words challenged, asking if I wasn't going
beyond "your scope of practice" by giving information about Diflucan to a
patient. For God's sake, this information is on the internet and available
to any Tom, Dick, or Harry with a few keystrokes.

But, it remained a powerful enough incident to have this fellow
professional want to stop me by  an undercurrent of professional threat.

This person was a nurse midwife with local power in the nursing organization.

My thoughts are that we, as professionals, yes, Susie, we are
professionals, is to give information based on what we know in the body of
science, and to let the patient make informed decision. If we do this in
good faith, not slurring or slandering others, but just laying the cards
out on the table based on what we know, then we let the consequences develop.
I would be very careful about telling a patient to ignore advice or
information from their physician, but I would not be hesitant to give info
that I have. It is a fine line, but I walk it every day. You have to be tough.

Rock on. Kathleen