From:
Petra Ulrych <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:56:26 -0500

>It
>was my understanding that underwires, as a rule, can bind and lead to
plugged
>ducts and /or mastitis.  Is this old information?  Should we be recommending
>their use routinely?  Should it be a case by case decision or let moms
>decide?  Is their any danger in their use?  Should we wait until the mom
>calls us with a problem to mention the fact that her bra could have been
>causing the problem?

As a nursing mom of two children (1 year old and 2 1/2 year old), I have
always worn an underwire bra and have had no problems with them.  Bras cause
problems when they are improperly fit.  Any bra can bind and cause plugged
ducts; it is one factor to look at.  I wear a 38 DD Ol-- Chr---... bra (when
nursing, pre-nursing days I was a 36 C) and have found bras like all clothing
is not standardized when it comes to sizing.  Some bras have very narrow cups
or underwires and these do not fit me well because of my shape and size.

Bottom line--a properly fit bra whether underwire or not is the goal.

Petra
LLL member and nursing mom