From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:43:31 +1000
Erika, I would add to my comments that, when starting all over again in
identifying the issues, it might be worth checking for an incomplete cleft
of the soft palate (very hard to see) or a labial frenum, holding the top
lip to the gum and making it difficult to roll out the top lip.  I suggest
this because the baby has already had one midline anomaly treated (posterior
TT) and occasionally midline defects occur in twos or threes.
I know this mother will appreciate your care and concern.
Virginia
(in Brisbane)

Subject: Re: yeast, nipple infection, sucking issues

Erika,
It seems to me a good idea to go back to base to start off taking a history
of symptoms from the beginning, before accepting the issues the mother has
identified herself.  After such prolonged nipple pain, I'd look for other
possibilities, rather than thrush, particularly a bacterial infection.  (See
the excellent study by Livingstone and Stringer, The treatment of
staphylococcus aureus infected sore nipples: a randomized comparative study.
Journal of Human Lactation 1999; 15: 241-245.)  A systemic antibiotic, plus
attention to latch, is effective if a bacterial infection is the case.  It
would make sense to stop the Diflucan in the interim.  Read this article for
details.
Raynaud's phenomenon isn't usually associated with going white (blanching)
alone.  Do her nipples also turn white in response to cold, and then change
colour?  Unless there is a biphasic (2 colours) or triphasic (3 colours)
colour change it would seem to me that the nipples are going white because
of pressure.  Mothers with nipple vasospasm are often inappropriately
treated with Diflucan, which doesn't solve the problem.
After experiencing nipple pain for so long, I'd also look to see if the
mother is flinching when she sees her baby's mouth open to feed.  This can
raise the baby and lower the breast, meaning the breast and mouth are no
longer lined up at the moment of latch - creating the pain a mother wants to
avoid.  Have a look at my long letter on this in JHL  (Thorley V. Mother's
behavior that undermines latch: the fear response. JHL 2005; 21: 243-244.)

I hope this helps.

Virginia

In Brisbane, Quenesland.