Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:02:00 -0600
>Please repeat after me: "All labor drugs get to the baby." Period.

Thank you for keeping it simple.

By the way, the Wisconsin Association of Lactation Consultants, after much
haggling a few years ago, adopted a "no-infant" policy at our conferences.
It came up again last week at our bi-monthly meeting, and the same camps
were arguing again.  A "professional organization" vs. breastfeeding
mothers'(who may also be "professional") attending with their infants.

The decision was to put the question on the evals of our 2000 conference.

Where are you on the subject?

I, too, can give fuller attention when there are no distractions such as
crying or loudly "singing" babies, but I am not as negatively affected as
the very angry LCs who speak strongly against having the babies there at
all. I am equally bothered by adults competing for the speaker's attention
by sharing their clever comments with those around them, or expounding on
the speaker's last point.

I spoke at the PA-MILC conference in October, and they have closed circuit
TV piped into a room where people can be with nursing babies. It cost them
some $$, but the attendees appreciated it.  And Karen Foard said that some
people other than nursing mothers took advantage of the room.

As you go about the country speaking, what do you encounter?

Pat Gima