From:
Sarah Gamble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:32:55 +1200
I have been talking over the ether with a fellow NICU
nurse with a problem- a 1.5 kg baby, born at 25 weeks
and now at term. Currently not showing much interest
in feeding, mum is really committed to BF and so are
the NICU staff. They are wondering about initiating
finger feeding and/or cup feeding in order to help get
the baby home, but without jeopardising breast
feeding. Currently mum is vigilantly expressing, but her
supply is not enough to meet the baby's entire needs,
so she is supplementing with LBW formula. In New
Zealand, we have less concern with finances (from a
parental point of view, anyway) and would suggest that
this baby stay in hospital, preferably rooming in with
her mum, for a supervised preiod of breastfeeding
without top-ups (if possible).

Does anybogy have any suggestions I can pass on to
my colleague regarding these options?

Sarah
Dunedin, New Zealand