Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:00:22 -0400
If a mother receives 2000 ml of water with an IV infusion within one hour of
giving birth, her kidneys have probably not processed this fluid yet. This
fluid, therefore is still in the mother's bloodstream. If the fluid is in
the mother's bloodstream, would it not be at equal volume/concentration in
the umbilical cord/placenta/baby?

The reason I ask is, I attended the birth of a baby a few weeks ago. He
weighed 4819 grams. Before weighing, he passed a large meconium stool, so it
was not taken into account regarding his birth weight. By 24 hours, he was
nursing well, and his weight was now at 4394, a loss of 8.8%.

Within 2 hours of his birth, his mother received 2L of IV fluids. His
umbilical cord was HUGE. If you put your middle finger to your thumb, it
would encircle the cord.

By day 2, the mother was being pressured into supplementing, despite good
bowel movements, saturated diapers, audible swallowing. As a second-time
mother with a good friend in the lactation field, she was able to get
pertinent information and refuse supplementation.

I am not discounting studies that suggest that labor fluids do not affect
the newborn weight loss, ok, maybe I am. But, I am wondering if these
studies are within the time period before the mother's kidney's ability to
excrete this additional fluid, or at least move it out of the bloodstream,
to where it is not as available to a baby via the umbilical cord.
(metabolize it out of the baby, for the baby).

Jeanne mentions separation and feeding problems, and it makes me think about
stress and cortisol. If separation increases stress, stress increases
cortisol levels, and high cortisol levels increase water retention, there
must be something else at play during this interval in time.

Best wishes from rainy Ohio,
Heather "Sam" Doak