From:
"Carrie L. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 23:35:49 -0600
Hi there.  Happy Holidays to all of you.  At our clinic, our children are
not allowed at work with us.  If they are young babies, they are allowed.  I
work 16 hours a week.  I first started out at 8 hours a week.  I have been
known to bring one of my older children with me to work, and that doesn't
seem to be a problem if it isn't all of the time.  I don't really think that
I would want to bring my 2 1/2 year old child to work.  She is a very active
child, and there are alot of times when I would not be able to watch her
very closely.  We are a part of a health clinic, and I would not want her up
there exposed to sick children.  Also, sometimes I have to go into
examination rooms.  It would not be appropiate for me to bring her in with
me.  When I am counseling moms, I want to be able to give my full attention
to their concerns so that I can get the full picture.  If I have my 2 year
old there, I would have to be interrupting all of the time to care for her.

When I was hired, we were told that our children were not allowed except for
nursing infants.  We were told that were to be very parttime so that we
could be with our children as much as possible.

I think that La Leche League is different.  This is a support group where
all mom's bring their children.  It is usually in someone's home.  It is set
up with the idea that children will be there.  It is very laid back, and the
leaders for the most part, do not have one on one private counseling with
mom's.

Carrie
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor