Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:12:35 EDT
> <<If choosing a term to explain what some babies experience when receiving
> bottles and then going to breast, I agree with the preference of
> "confusion"
> over "nipple preference" or "breast aversion".   Imagine telling a
> mom...well, your baby prefers the bottle...Mom thinks 'no problem, give him
> the bottle' since moms want to do what baby prefers and even worse would be
> to tell her the baby has breast aversion. >>

How about not calling it anything at all.  How about if we just teach how to
fix the problem without labeling the problem with a name.  Since moms many
times are going to interrupt the same wording or saying in their own way, why
not leave off the label or perceived cause of the problem.

When working with mommy and baby, it's most helpful keeping the focus on
positive statements and teaching.  Saying somethings like, "the baby is
learning how to feed.  She didn't have to feed in the womb.  The baby is
learning to feed and the mother is learning to breastfeed just like two
individuals who have never road a bicycle learning to ride a bicycle built
for two. Skills change for mother and baby with each day and with practice."

I have a couple of concerns with placing labels on problems without science.
One is the message to the mother and how she may interrupt the message.  The
other is a concern for us as professionals, using labeling that is not
scientifically accepted makes us look less professional.  JMHO

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services  www.PatLC.com
Pediatrics Plus' Lactation Consultant   www.pedsplus.com