Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 07:36:58 -0600
I have a couple of clients whose infants at one month are on nipple
shields. One of these infants has a recessed chin.

After our recent discussion on oral development, particularly regarding
tongue tie, I am wondering if prolonged use of a nipple shield would
negatively affect the normal forming of the oral anatomy. We have often
commented that if an infant is gaining well there is no rush to get rid of
the shield and that many babies do so on their own at around 3 months.

Is 3 months late for the healthy forming of the oral cavity? Can the proper
formation of the hard and soft palates be acquired after that time?

And, as to the recessed chin, will the use of a shield facilitate the
correction of the chin or will it inhibit it?

The infants were both on the newborn small shield and I recommended that
they switch to the regular, which will give the infant more of a "mouth
full," and necessitate a wider mouth. Unfortunately, the babies have been
taking in just the teat of the small shield for this first month.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]