From:
Laura Aldag <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 10:16:02 -0700
My Department Head sent this to me and I thought some of you would find it
interesting. Last month I attempted to convince some state Extension faculty
that it was appropriate for my Breastfeeding Support Project to apply for
USDA Food Safety monies because promoting breastfeeding was a food safety
issue. Most were skeptical and the powers to be were sold on another
project. Wish they could have seen this.

                            [Image]
>  >           Nitrate in Drinking Water Threatens Infant Health
>  >  Tens of Thousands of Newborns Drink Water Contaminated with
Nitrate
> [...]
> federal nitrate standard. These systems are not considered in
> violation of the nitrate standard if the water utility warns the
> public that the water is unfit for pregnant women and infants. As
> Pouring It On is being released, infants and pregnant mothers in two
> Illinois towns, Danville (pop. 38,000) and Georgetown (pop 3,670)
> have been provided with bottled water for the last three weeks due
> to nitrate contamination from excessive use of farm fertilizer.
>  > And the nitrate contamination problem is growing. More than 12
> million people drink water from systems where some part of the water
> supply tested above the nitrate standard in the past three years.
> Often these systems provide water that is contaminated at levels
> very close to the nitrate standard. "The public pays at least $200
> million per year to protect infants from nitrate pollution in
> drinking water, by digging new wells, blending contaminated water
> with cleaner water, or paying for expensive treatment facilities.
> The polluters, primarily farmers, pay nothing at all," said Brian
> Cohen, an analyst with EWG, and lead author of the report. "The good
> news is that farmers can solve the problem and actually save money
> by better fertilizer and manure management," Cohen added.
>  > An additional 3.8 million people drink from private wells that are
> contaminated with nitrate above the federal standards. These wells
> present unique problems because they often are not adequately
> monitored. In ten states, more than one private well in ten is
> contaminated with nitrate above federal health standards.
>  > Agriculture is responsible for 80 percent of nitrate pollution in
> the environment. "What makes this situation even more compelling is
> that nearly all of the actual cases, and much of the threat, of
> methemoglobinemia is preventable through better management of farm
> fertilizer and manure," said Richard Wiles, Vice President for
> Research at EWG. "But, there is no authority under any current or
> proposed federal law, including a recent Senate passed version of
> the Safe Drinking Water Act, that gives public health authorities
> the power to control this pollution at the source," Wiles said.
>  > The report also details weaknesses in the nitrate drinking water
> standard. The federal drinking water standard for nitrate has no
> margin of safety. Documented cases of blue baby syndrome have
> occurred after exposure to levels of nitrate in water less than the
> U.S. standard of 10 parts per million. In a 1992 near-fatal case of
> blue baby syndrome in Wisconsin, an infant who was initially
> misdiagnosed, was hospitalized with methemoglobinemia after being
> fed drinking water contaminated at levels just below the federal
> health standard. Germany, Denmark, and South Africa have a nitrate
> standard more than twice as protective as the U.S. standard.
>  >        Pouring It On: Nitrate Contamination of Drinking Water.
>  > Return to Environmental Working Group Home Page.

-Laura
Laura Aldag, M.S.,R.D.
Assistant in Extension

the world; indeed its the only thing that has"   Margaret Mead