From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 10:05:30 -0400
Dear all:
I did not think that there would be a discussion on Lactnet that APPEARS to confuse
cosleeping and bed sharing.  This distinction  and many others is CRUCIALLY important for
future research into understanding how to create a safer environment for infants.

I read James McKenna's review article from start to finish and he has very appropriately
analyzed much of the existing evidence.  I've gone back to some of the original full
articles and I concur with many of his conclusions.

Basically, the incomplete and often highly biased collection of data provides evidence
that:

1) Sleeping alone in a separate room is the highest risk environment
2) Cosleeping (which means in the same room close to the parents) on a separate surface
is the lowest risk environment
3) Bed sharing is slightly higher risk than cosleeping, but lower risk than sleeping alone
and we are discovering the specific factors for that risk which may mean better
recommendations for how to bed share safely.

I am completely confounded by  the statement that "cosleeping" is higher risk.  I have not
seen one article that properly defines cosleeping or even one article that improperly
defines cosleeping where an analysis of cosleeping on a separate surface versus sleeping
alone or bedsharing provides that evidence.

The devil IS in the details of these studies and we of all professionals should be using the
same degree of rigor with our definitions as we do with breastfeeding.  Furthermore,
because sleeping in a separate room is the highest risk category --- why are we falling
into the same logic defying trap of ignoring the biggest risk factor of all??  We should be
providing the best evidence for reducing risk in all sleeping environments.

Best, Susan Burger