From:
Cheryl Dawn Marian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:50:56 -0500
Does anyone have any information on NotBreastfeeding and the risk of
Neuroblastoma?  I have found these two references in a Pubmed search, the
first I will need to purchase the article but the second does give an
abstract.

We have a young couple in our town who's two year old was diagnosed
December 31st with 4th stage neuroblastoma, they also have a 7 month old
and mom is pregnant again due in August. 2 year old has had 3 treatments
of chemo and is undergoing some stem cell therapy.  They are very happy
about the unplanned pregnancy because they will have umbilical stem cells
to use later.

I would like to send them information on using donor milk for a time, if
possible, to lessen the ameliorating effects of the chemo and stress the
importance of breastfeeding this next baby and also pumping to add to the
2 year olds diet (to then save costs on the donor milk) and maybe even 4
ounces, or some, a day to the 7 month olds diet (of course he will be a
year old by then.) by showing some statistics on the risks of not
breastfeeding.  I would send this information so as not to directly make
her feel uncomfortable or defensive about not breastfeeding if she did not
do so or only did so briefly. The article in the paper for their fund-
raiser said she is a nurse so she may have heard some of the information
before.  But I would feel guilty not passing on a thought that might, to
her, be new knowledge.

Cancer Causes Control. 2003 Apr;14(3):299; author reply 300. Cancer Causes
Control. 2002 Jun;13(5):401-5.
Re: Breast-feeding and neuroblastoma, USA and Canada.Fear NT, Roman E.

Cancer Causes Control. 2002 Jun;13(5):401-5. Related Articles, Cancer
Causes Control. 2003 Apr;14(3):299;
Breast-feeding and neuroblastoma, USA and Canada. Daniels JL, Olshan AF,
Pollock BH, Shah NR, Stram DO.

Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences,
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA. [log in to unmask]

OBJECTIVE: Researchers have suggested an inverse association between
breast-feeding and risk of childhood cancer. We investigated the
association between breast-feeding and neuroblastoma in a large case-
control study in the United States and Canada. METHODS: Maternal reports
of breast-feeding were compared among 393 children six months or older who
had neuroblastoma and were identified through the Children's Cancer Group
and the Pediatric Oncology Group and 376 age-matched controls identified
by random-digit telephone dialing in a telephone interview case-control
study. RESULTS: Children with neuroblastoma were less likely to have
breast-fed than control children (odds ratio (OR) = 0.6; 95% confidence
interval (CI) = 0.5-0.9). The association between breast-feeding and
neuroblastoma increased with breast-feeding duration (0-3 months OR = 0.7,
CI = 0.4-1.0; 13+ months OR = 0.5, CI = 0.3-0.9). CONCLUSION: Breast-
feeding was inversely associated with neuroblastoma and should be
encouraged among healthy mothers. Additional research on possible
mechanisms of this association may be warranted.

Thank you for any information you can share,

Cheryl Marian