From:
Kathleen Whitfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:22:56 -0800
on 11/26/03 7:30 AM, Naomi Bar-Yam at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> There's been a lot of talk about contacting 60 minutes and other such
> shows with the information about the Ad Council campaign. I think it's
> a good strategy, we have to expect it to take time. We have to keep
> sending them information, press releases, articles, letters as things
> come up. If we can find a person on one or two of these expose shows
> who takes interest in this story, that would be a big boost. Even so,
> they will have to do their own investigating.

I agree that getting any sort of media coverage will take time. If you work
in the media, you get very used to people coming at you with all kinds of
conspiracy theories -- to the point that you get very skeptical. I shudder
to imagine the number and type of story ideas sent to "60 Minutes." As
Teresa Pitman has described more eloquently in the past, most members of the
media have the same issues with breastfeeding their own babies that you'll
see in your client bases and at your own workplaces. Who would want to admit
that what you fed your baby was an inferior food? *That's* why it's hard to
get accurate coverage of breastfeeding in the mainstream media. But if the
story does manage to intrigue a few people, it has a chance. The danger is
that it would still have to be "sold" to others, most of whom have a lot
invested psychologically in the idea that even though "breast is best,"
substitutes are almost as good.

Kathleen Whitfield
Riverside, CA USA