Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:23:39 EDT
I, too, even after all these years, remember sighing when I sat down to
nurse, or rolled over in bed, or lifted my shirt while taking a walk.   Sometimes,
in the beginning it was a cleansing breath due to sore nipples and  fear of
pain, often after it was that sigh of relief to be able to solve infant  crying
or child's tantrum or just to be able to shut out everything else going  on.
And the more I think about it there were times with my older nurslings  when
I didn't particularly want to nurse them just then and sighed, but do  clearly
remember, almost always, that magic of relaxation overriding  my reluctance
once nursing got under way.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC