From:
Sue Svehla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:49:18 -0600
On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:50:59 -0600
Becky wrote,
>>You'd be amazed.  Get a baby who's mother has pushed for 3 hours and then
>>he's been dragged out with a vacuum and watch him chomp.  Or a multip who
>>really doesn't want any help or advice who has the baby WAY over in the
>>crook of her arm with the baby's bottom lip at the base of the nipple and
>>traction on the nipple besides.  You can get some pretty impressive damage
>>fast.  Personally, I think the gel dressings are great and so do the
>>moms.  We have been using the ones currently named "Soothies" since they
>>were first marketed by Southwest Technologies.  They require no Dr.'s order
>>and are given out by the nurses as well as the LC's.
>>
>>I agree with Kathleen that there is no substitute for good latch technique,
>>but that also requires nurses who want to learn and can actually teach it,
>>and mothers who are open to advice!
>>
>>Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
>>Appleton, Wisconsin
>>
>>------------------------------
Becky,
I couldn't agree with you more! I don't encounter severe nipple damage in
the hospital very often thank goodness but I have found the Soothies very
helpful at the times I did. I also have used them for my OPV when mom's are
still working through some sore nipple issues. My mom's that have used them
thought they were great and have even purchased more than one pair.
Proper latchon from the get go is the ideal of course but ....we don't live
in an ideal world so it is nice to have options to using just lanolin.

Sue Svehla RNC BSN IBCLC
Omaha Nebraska
Sue Svehla RNC BSN IBCLC
Lactation Consultant