From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:53:23 -0600
Pam, I work with many women pumping for premature babies in the NICU.
What I find is that when they don't pump enough on the first few days,
or don't pump at all, their milk supplies are limited. Now, these are
women using hospital grade pumps not nursing the baby. But from your
history, it certainly sounds like a possible scenario of this mom not
getting enough breast stimulation in the first days or week. I have
worked with dozens of mothers who don't get started with any kind of
pump until day 4-5 and they usually top out at 8-12 ounces each 24 hours
(from 8 pumpings). A few end up doing ok but the majority do not make a
full milk supply. I have seen research where the moms who got started
pumping in the first two days after birth had better milk supplies than
those who got started later. I think this was in the JHL a few years
ago. If mom is willing, the care plan you suggested is certainly worth a
try to see if things improve.
Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC