From:
Anne Nans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:42:30 -0400
>Pajamas & nightgowns for infants and children are required by law in the US
to be treated.
From memory only, I think commercially-made Halloween costumes are also
treated.

So, should we be telling families choose snug fitting, organic fibers for their children's sleepwear if they can afford it?  Should we be telling families to ensure that they have fire alarms in good working order and focusing on fire safety to decrease the need for flame retardant in clothes?  I'm thinking long term here.  How can we teach families in baby care classes, etc. to become environmentally conscious consumers.  I don't see the current presidential administration making strong choices to protect the environment.  I believe we, as breastfeeding advocates and ultimately wanting the best for the health of our children, must get the word out to individual families to start making these decisions.  Changes come from consumers.  The toxic load of formula may be lower, but the cost of manufacturing, packaging, waste, etc. certainly has it's own environmental impact.  I'm wondering if Peggy O'Mara (Mothering Magazine) will have ideas on this one.  Maybe there is an environmental scientist in the group who can help us to identify individual products and manufacturers to avoid?

Anne Nans, RN/IBCLC
Fredericksburg, VA