From:
"Bonnie J. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:04:41 EDT
Kathyrn what about using an IV pump that would be from home health care and
putting breast milk in a buretrol ( not sure if this is correct spelling) .
They are used in the ICU's when many meds have to be given at the same time.
Its a hard plastic device that is used when small amounts of fluid have to be
given and then is connected with IV tubing into the buretrol and then is put
on an IV pump and you can figure out how many cc's to run over the 4hr.
period. I believe this type of container would be ok for the breast milk and
should not have problems of adherance to the sides of the container. Now the
problem is some of these only fit the micro drips and for breast milk you
would need a macro drip but something to look into. The other possibility is
to see if a pharmacy in the hospital still carries any small containers of
glass that hook up for IV's that are clean and have not had any drugs placed
into them. Then breast milk could be injected into them perhaps and use a 18g
needle to keep the vacum or perhap even take the lid off and then attempt to
reseal. These are just some ideas that may or not be possible. The other
thought is at our hospital we use an epidural pump and basically the med is
drawn into a very large syringe and then the sryinge goes into the pump and
you set it for how fast you want it to go. With epidurals the catheter is
connected to the end of the syringe. I am wondering if a feeding tube could
be attached to the end of the syringe and then placed on the epidural pump.
Once again these are just ideas and not sure if equipment would be availible .
Bonnie Shafer RN