From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 08:09:01 -0400
Dear all:

I haven't yet read the new scope of practice, but I will.  From what I have read on Lactnet, it seems
to me that this is a serious infringement of freedom of speech if we are not allowed to provide
evidence-based information.  Second, it seems as if the model is generated from a hospital-based
hierarchical system whereby nurses are not allowed to speek out about their so-called "higher
ups".  Again, this scares me in that I would not want to be in a hospital where a nurse who cares
for patients all day long doesn't have the authority to take aside an MD when an error is being
made and correct that error. If the model is indeed assuming that we are all nurses, and that
nurses must be subservient, then what does that mean for those of us who work in private
practice?  In fact, MOST of breastfeeding occurs outside the hospital and the hospital experience is
but a brief period in the life of a breastfeeding relationship.

Finally, I know of no other medical profession that restricts the ability of its professionals from
becoming trained in "alternative" therapies whatever the definition of those "alternatives" are.
Does this mean a trained acupuncturist must stop using acupuncture if they become an IBCLC?

If we are allowed to receive a salary from an institution that gives out formula or even work for the
formula industry which we are technically allowed to do because of "restriction of trade"  it seems
to me that there is a serious legal flaw if we are then not allowed to speek openly about evidence-
based information.

I suppose I will have to rely on my PhD in Nutrition and give up on the IBCLC.

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC