From:
Svetlana Tenenbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:49:11 -0500
Hi, Heather.

I have noticed that women with firm inelastic breasts do not recover
well from engorgement. There is little room to expend and the breasts
begin envoluting very soon after the onset of engorgement. I worked with
a mom with the type of breasts you have described whose engorgement was
not dealt with for the first 4 days post partum and it took tremendous
effort (pumping) plus Domeperidone to get her supply up. (She was
checked by a Breasfeeding medicine MD in NY for hormonal imbalances and
had no problems).
Another thing to look for is the infant's oral anatomy features. Babies
with micrognathia and/or weird, as I call them, posterior tongue ties
have difficulties draining the inelastic, firm, springy breasts, Thus
while your mom was engorged, the infant took decent amounts but couldn't
drive the supply on his own.

All the best
Svetlana Tenenbaum, MPH, CDN, IBCLC
Brooklyn, NY