From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:49:11 +0200
How sad, Pat...
It's true: we don't owe everything we do and can to our parents (some set
lousy examples...) and neither can we blame them for everything (some are
marvelous rolemodels and are neglected nevertheless because the offspring
lets itself get carried away and doesn't take good care of its talents and
(genetic or cognitive or material) heritage...).
All you can do as a parent is try to get them off to a good start with
dedication and perseverance on your own behalf. One day, letting go is in
order, but that is more difficult, when they don't seem to be able to take
over responsibility. I hope you can find a balance between being there for
him and looking well after yourself.

Warmly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands