From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:45:00 +0000
Sharon

I hope this is not too late for your visit to the mother with
mastitis.  I think the problem described - breast care following
mastitis - is well within the scope of practice of an IBCLC.

Firstly, I doubt that at one month postpartum she is not
lactating.  Even if she is not breastfeeding, lactation would take
approximately six weeks to cease altogether.

So it is likely that her mastitis was originally caused by over-full
breasts --> engorgment --> milk stasis --> bacterial
proliferation.  If she has mastitis now and continues to not drain
the breasts she is at risk of breast abscess.  The treatment would be
frequent and thorough breast drainage asap, regardless of what the
mother decides to do with the milk (although it is a shame not to
feed it to the baby...  Are you able to provide any input/advice for
this mother about the risks to her baby of not being breastfed? )

But apart from breastfeeding, this mother would need frequent and
thorough breast drainage to resolve the mastitis and to head off the
risk of abscess.  And possibly a course of antibiotics, and close
follow-up for the next few days.  Once all pain, inflammation and
induration are resolved, then if she wished to suppress lactation, it
would be good if she simply lengenthened the intervals between
expressing/pumping the affected breast until she slo-o-o-owly stops
producing milk.  She could use a pump to facilitate breast drainage -
or you could teach her how to hand-express, then massage the
lumpy/affected area, then hand express again.

I'd love to hear some feed-back on what you find and what you suggest
and what the mother agrees to do.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England