From:
Jennifer Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:16:50 EST
Please don't have a fit at your doctor's office! Look, the fastest way to
cement your label as a "breastfeeding nut" is to have a "fit" when some
doctor pipes up with something ignorant. After your fit they'll think you're
just a wacko, and why should they listen to you then? Medical education has
ignored breastfeeding for too long, and we physicians tend to be an arrogant
bunch, but if your purpose is to change the advice they give, you have to
approach it positively. Think of yourself as the "breastfeeding rep"-- like
the formula rep, except maybe not blonde, 30ish, size 4 and well-paid. Talk
facts about breastfeeding and breastmilk. Offer to send policies, articles,
etc. ("I know you're awfully busy, and I'll be glad to get the information
together for you"). I always pretend the information is new, just off the
press stuff-this way no one gets defensive and shuts you off. So it's
emotionally less than honest, you may want to scream and yell because this
person gives such dumb advice and has access to hundreds of women, but if
your purpose is to have them pay attention and maybe consider changing
long-standing practices (and then having to defend them to their colleagues),
a gentle approach is always better.
Jennifer Cox, MD, IBCLC