From:
Eric/Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 10:50:21 -0600
Nancy--
I think your hypothesis about FTT/baby shutting down because of scheduled
feeds is very interesting. Prescribing "cuddle time" is probably a great
idea. When I'm working with a client for whom breastfeeding is a continual
struggle, I often suggest time in the tub together or some other
skin-to-skin time without any attempt at nursing in order to take some
pressure off the relationship (same idea as when a baby/child is on a
nursing strike). There was a very interesting article in the last Nursing
Mothers Association of Australia (NMAA) journal, "Breastfeeding Review" on
the therapeutic value of baths when working with babies who aren't sucking
well soon after birth ("Remedial Co-Bathing for Breastfeeding Difficulties,"
H. Harris, Breastfeeding Review, Vol. II. No. 10, Nov. 1994, pp 465-468. I
think this could be used for many other circumstances where the relationship
has suffered (is suffering) for one reason or another. Lack of maternal
response to baby's cues could easily be one of this circumstances.

**Leslie**
Leslie Ayre-Jaschke, BEd, IBCLC
Peace River Breastfeeding Clinic, Peace River AB Canada
e-mail <[log in to unmask]>