From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:29:45 -0500
CEUs, CERPs and CMEs are awarded by independently accredited institutions.
It costs THEM time, money and expertise to acquire the specialized authority
to determine that continuing education programs meet the stated needs, and
teach the claimed materials, by presenters worthy of the challenge.  That is
why it costs YOU money to receive continuing education that is recognized by
the boards that license and certify us as health care providers, and the
employers who must demonstrate that we are still knowledgable and capable of
doing our jobs.

If not, I could have a whole lot of fun, and probably make a bucket of money
to boot, by doling out certificates for the Liz Brooks Approved Lactation
Learning Modules.

One can probably find a few free or low-cost CEUs, CERPs and CMEs.  IBLCE
offers a "free" CERP for those who are willing to devise test quetions.
They permit you to use your CPR training (which many of us must have to keep
our jobs) as a "two fer" for a few CERPs credits.

But we can't get our entire continuing education load for free. This is
simply the "cost of doing business" -- our business.  We have to keep our
education up .... just as we have to buy uniforms or clothes to wear to work
... we have to have a car/public transit to get us to our workplace .... we
have to carry professional liaibility insurance.

Who are the folks who HAVE figured out how MDs RNs and IBCLCs can get "free"
continuing education?  The formula companies and their parents, the
pharmaceutical companies.  They have offered, in various venues, to pay for
health care providers to attend educational sessions. They pay the travel,
the hotel, the conference fee.  The HCP gets the credits.

If this doesn't alarm the WHO Code hairs on the back on your neck ... it
ought to raise the hackes of anyone who is concerned about real or perceived
conflicts of intrest -- which apply to every HCP, not just IBCLCs.  If you
want to learn more, get an eyeful at propublica.org (click on Dollars for
Docs) or read the treatise by Lo and Field, available on the Web -- in
particular, Chap 5
http://dpcpsi.nih.gov/pdf/Final-Report-Conflict-Interest-(08-6002-OD-OER)-9-18-09.pdf