From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:18:55 EDT

I can speak just from my personal experience. My child didn't show signs
till 4mths old in the form of FTT and then refusing solids (due to cf and lack
of saliva/thick mucus). He was not dx until age 6yrs because they kept chasing
other reasons for the ftt in the beginning, one being that my milk was not
fat enough (even though I had just breastfed his older brother who was  a big
fat baby) and that if he would just eat solids and decrease bf he would  gain
weight! And then even at a year when we added pedisure and when solids were
more pushed he still didn't gain that is when other cf symptoms came more
noticeable--stools were worse, constipated, developed 2 hernias at two  separate
times and more illnesses and cough increased. And I also think  what contributed
to the late dx is that he has not been hospitalized for  illness, though he
has been often sick for longer periods of time and on abx but  compared to most
w/ cf they would have been hospitalized often.
I breastfed him until age 4yrs and I truly think that has made the
difference since I did bf exclusively(no formula) and for so long--years  not months.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uid
s=15022134&dopt=Abstract_
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15022134&dopt=Abstract)

Scroll to bottom to see study and refs.