From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:30:28 EDT
Dear Friends:

Today I had a very tense mother in my office, so tense that one would have
thought that this second baby was actually a first baby by the tentative  way
that she handled him.

After some s2s, she calmed down. And the baby relaxed so much that he  wasn't
about to show feeding cues. I didn't know what to do, so I showed Dr.
Smillie's fabulous DVD "Baby-Led Breastfeeding: the Mother-Baby Dance." Both
parents were fascinated. While I could have talked about baby-led attachment,  the
consultation wouldn't have been as effective without the parents seeing it.  As
their own baby was asleep like a rock, the DVD was the next best thing.

Now the mother is excited to go home, do s2s, hand-express and feed on a
spoon, stop pressing her breast away from her baby's nose, and let him take the
breast himself.

I feel encouraged and will keep you posted. I realize that it isn't always
possible to show a DVD at a visit, and also that this technology isn't relevant
 for some here on LACTNET. Sure was fun though!

warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com_ (http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee