From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:14:07 -0400
Maryelle Vonlanthen wrote: "I recommend that parents put 2DROPS on a
little dish and dip the swab in it.  Then express all they can from the
swab before painting the baby's mouth with it.  If the baby drools
purple they are using too much.  All they need is to paint the mouth of
the baby and the tongue (front)."

Funny how we have different techniques! Here in Western Quebec, we paint
the mothers' nipples and then but the baby to the breast. Of course both
are purple for a while but both are then treated.

And...I do agree, you need only a few drops of gentian violet for a life
time! So let's come back another time with toxicity with so small
amounts!

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull
(Western Quebec, Canada)