From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:53:51 -0400
I wish someone had called my son a *sparkler* or told me this, instead
everyone told me I needed to fix him or inferred I was a bad parent (why
else wasn't he behaving 'right'?)

Now having lived through him (he is my Holland child - see the
archives)and learning that there is a physical reason (well several, he
is also allergic) I feel much better as a parent and I see him
differently. With more sympathy, as people won't understand his view on
the world.

It also helps me when I deal with moms with these *sparklers* I tell
them that I have lived through it and my son is ok, not exactly what the
world wants, but doing just fine thank you. I know how desperately hard
it is to live with one of these children at times, but I also know it is
survivable and the end result is worth it.

Just for, non scientific research, he rates 99% in math and 97% in
science, is in the gifted and talented program (has been since 4th
grade, 3 years) but is still considered somewhat of a 'problem' child in
school as he has a hard time interpreting multiple instructions and
social interactions. Oh well, I take great heart in that Edison (or was
it Einstein?!?) was considered a 'poor' student, too.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY