From:
Teresa Vinisky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:03:45 EDT
In a message dated 9/17/2003 1:21:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I am not religious, but I am always amazed at certain health
recommendations which were thought of thousands of years ago, such as Jewish
dietary laws, brit, etc, because they are medically correct in  " modern
medicine".  I once learned something very interesting from a friend who is a
hematologist.  On the 8th day after birth, the levels of Factor VIII are
very high in human milk.......Factor VIII  has anti-inflammatory properties
and aids in coagulation, which would be very helpful on the day of the Brit.
By day 8, breastfeeding is usually pretty well -established, and I encourage
mothers to feed the baby immediately after the Brit and often in the next 24
hours, and I have never heard that the Brit upset the breastfeeding in any
way.  Maybe that is another reason that the Brit should be done on day 8.
Another interesting fact: we are seeing more and more babies born without a
foreskin or partially circumcised........evolutionary changes? IN such a
case, the Brit is still performed symbolically, by drawing a drop of blood
First of all, the brit isn't actually medically correct in Modern Med. It is,
as far as clotting factors the 8th day and so forth. Yes, it is good that by
day 8 bfing is usually well established, milk is in and so forth, but no
medical organization actually recommends RIC
As far as babies being born without a foreskin or partially circd, I MAY be
mistaken, but I think that almost always only occurs with Hypospadius. There
are dozens of theories on why hypospadius is becoming more common.
Teresa V. in PA