Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:50:48 +0100
Fiona outlined a number of believable reasons why a mother may not
phone a volunteer, or not phone back.

There's another one - a mother desperate to continue bf may be scared
to phone in case the volunteer can't help her, and tells her she
'has' to stop bf.

Now we all know that whatever happens, the volunteer would be very
unlikely to tell her she 'had' to do anything, but the mother doesn't
know that.

As long as she resists phoning the volunteer, she has one more trick
left up her sleeve....if she uses it, and it doesn't help,  that's
it, finito.  So she doesn't call.

It's a bit like when I was using breathing and relaxation in labour -
the 'fourth level' of self-help with the pain was singing a song. I
resisted and resisted using this 'fourth level' as I thought 'help,
if that doesn't work, what then?' (I was very scared of using
pharmacological pain relief...but almost equally scared of singing
that song.)

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK