From:
Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:17:46 -0600
I have been NOMAIL for a very long time and haven't posted
for months.  I am the only lactation consultant at 2
hospitals--15 miles apart.

I was recently asked by one of our nurses to advocate for
the stocking of tea bags for sore nipples.  I told the nurse
that I do not recommend them because they are drying.  She
says that she usually puts on the warm moist tea bags for
about 10 minutes to decrease pain and swelling.  She says
that the mothers report instant relief.  She has the mothers
use ultra-purified lanolin after ten minutes of the tea
bags.  She and I are both fully aware that neither of these
treatments cure the problem, which is nearly always poor
latch and/or positioning.  Our primary goal is to fix the
problem.

My question is:  Does anyone else use tea bags in this way?
Does this make sense physiologically?  Is the treatment
harmful if used in this way.

Please reply privately as well as to the list since I
continue to be "no mail."

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC from the sunny S.W. USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]