From:
Deanne Francis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2080 18:57:22 -0700
I think one of the MD's would better be able to comment on this subject, but
I can offer my $.02.
The reason the neonatologists and dietician in our NICU uses fortifier for
babies born under (I think it is 1200 gms)   is not for the extra calories,
particularly.  It is because even though premie mother's milk tries to make
up for the fact that the baby is early,  and still supposed to be "hooked
up" to a placenta, it doesn't quite do it long-term.  The problem is the
calcium and phosphorous, etc.  We have had some  babies develop rickets,
etc., without the supplementation.  They are only on the fortifier until
they reach a certain post conceptual age and are gaining well.  If the baby
is breast feeding directly from the breast part of the time, we fortify only
the gavage feedings, or use a supplementer with fortified breast milk.
This is certainly preferable to using high-cal formula.  Lawrence Gartner is
going to be speaking in Billings, Mont on May 5, and I think this is one of
the subjects he is going to cover.  Hopefully, I will get to go to that
conference, since I am very interested in this subject.
Deanne, R.N.  NICU
IBCLC