From:
Freyja May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:39:26 -0700
I'm not sure exactly what "chick lit" consists of, but I know I've
encountered breastfeeding moms in novels.

One that springs to mind is One on One by Tabitha King. There's one part
where a teenaged stepson stops off to pick up breast pads for his stepmother
and runs into his future girlfriend, who is disgusted and he is
not impressed by her disgust. The subject comes up in other books by the
same author.

Sue Miller is another author whose characters breastfeed.

I think I remember breastfeeding in Alice Hoffman's books, though I also
remember a reference to really cool aunts who added chocolate syrup to
formula (Practical Magic).

The characters in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander novels breastfeed as do the
characters in Sara Donati's series which begins with Into the Wilderness.
Both include blurbs about cross-nursing. These are historical fiction,
though. I do remember a part where someone in the late 1940s breastfeeds her
child despite the distain of her housekeeper (?)

I seem to remember the selfish Scarlett O'Hara breastfeeding, though of
course Melanie couldn't make any milk (her baby is wet-nursed by a slave,
which is historically accurate but makes me cringe. Thankfully this woman
continues to nurse her own child, as I understand did not always happen).

Oh! Stephanie Plum's sister is breastfeeding! (Janet Evanovich is the author
of this series; the baby doesn't come until one of the later books.)

The mother in the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend breastfeeds his younger
sister. (These were written in the 1980s I think and they are hilarious.)

And there's always the Grapes of Wrath, though I haven't read it.

I think I've seen breastfeeding mentioned in at least one book by Susan
Elizabeth Phillips (who I believe is a retired LLLL).

Freyja May, bibliophile and LLLL, Fort Collins, CO