From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:23:52 -0500
I have really appreciated the recent dicussion of guilt vs. grief for moms
who have not been able to breastfeed.  I do full service family practice and
enjoy asking my elderly patients about their breastfeeding experiences when
I have time.  I am impressed at how women in their 70s and 80s sometimes
relate stories of trying and failing to breastfeed with such emotion that it
seems like something that happened last week instead of 50 or 60 years ago.
 Some tell me stories, then, of how proud they are that all their
grandchildren were breastfed.  I hadn't heard before the eloquent
descriptions some of you posted about how the emotion these ladies felt is
not guilt, but grief.  It seems so clear to me now -- and even more
impressive that this grief could go on for so many years.
After reading the stories at the pro-formula feeding website, although many
discuss the "guilt" they felt, it seems that grief may be a more accurate
description.  Most faced very difficult situations with inadequate support
and seem so sad that they weren't able to breastfeed.
Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 3, and new baby #4 expected 5/31/03