Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:01:28 EST
In a message dated 1/29/1 9:50:46 AM, Pam writes:

<< It
is not a rational thought and after reading how all the weight checks may not
even be as accurate as I thought, maybe I will wait and see.  However, when
supplementing will be necessary and mom wants breastfeeding protected, how
else can the amount of supplement needed be guaged? >>

a thought is urine and BM.

If the baby's urine is not pale or light yellow, more BF/br milk is needed.
If more BF or Br milk is not possible, a supplement is needed. I would also
base *when* to add supplement and how much on how the baby looks/acts. The
plan for any given time may change in a few hours.

If not seeing an appropriate amount of BM, even with pale urine, there may
consequently be a deficit in wt gain, indicating more frequent wt checks to
assess.

So many variables to consider. With your previous challenging situation you
were well motivated, and patient and persistant.

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway