From:
Jennifer Baughman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:36:41 -0400
Actually, Celiac Sprue is for more common than once believed. If the
toddler does in fact have Celiac Sprue, there is a strong chance that at
least one of the parents and or siblings has it as well. If a diagnosis is
made it is now recommended that the immediate and extended family be
tested. As many as 1 in 133 (in the US) has CS and as many as 75% of them
have no common symptoms. As the mother of two children with CS who were
both were exclusively breastfeed for more than six months and did not have
wheat till after their first year I can say that the delay of solids had
little effect. I can also say that both my personal experience as well as
that of an number of other breastfeeding moms did see an effect of Gliadin
(the part of the gluten that is thought to pass through breast milk) on our
kids..ie loose, fowl stools, loss of weight, vomiting, bloated tummy and in
some dental issues in babies of a very young pre-solids age as well as into
the toddler years. When gluten was removed from mom's diet if baby had not
yet had solids the difference was dramatic. I'm not sure taking a
supplement will prevent the very damaging effects of the gliadin if in fact
the baby is at risk.

Research in the area is very hot right now as more and more folks who were
once thought to have other GI issues are now being diagnosed with Celiac.
Celiac is also associated with a string of other auto-immune disease like
Autism, type-1 diabetes and thyroid conditions. So, a mom might not just be
preventing damage to the babies small intestine but also the possible
triggering or other devistating conditions as well.

My youngest is a dual diagnoses of both CS and type-1 (lots of fun!). Sadly
it was only after my youngest got sick that family members came forward
with the knowledge of symptoms. If I had known I would have spotted all
gluten even during pregnancy.
My older daughter is a silent Celiac, only complained every so often of a
gassy tummy ach after pizza or pasta dinners. What kids dosen't?

Hope this shines some light ~~

Jenny Baughman
Atl, GA