From:
Beverly Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2016 09:21:56 -0400
Hi Pat
I think there may be two issues here; one of behavior and one of weaning. Obviously a bit more challenging with a Down Syndrome child and the older child watching Mother's attention focused on a younger sibling.  I always suggest in an effort to wean an older child to offer "other mothering" or focused attention to the child in an effort to replace the focused attention the child receives while breastfeeding. There is no greater way to get Mom's attention than to insist on nursing. If Mom is offering a focused time 1-2 times per day without interruption for 15 minutes of play or storytime, it  may met the child's emotional needs and decrease the child's need to be at the breast. I have also included here a site on behavior and DS.
http://dsagsl.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Behavior-Guide-for-Down-Syndrome.pdf
Beverly Ann Curtis
DNP, PPCNP-BC, IBCLC