From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 10:34:50 -0700
Having talked to a couple of women about this, I can offer at least their
viewpoint.  It seems that for some of these women, getting pregnant IS very
difficult.  One told me that she and her spouse rarely even engaged in
sexual relations because she had not yet healed from past traumatic
experiences.  So the fact that she ever got pregnant was a little
miraculous.

Also (and this is pure speculation), I'm willing to bet that many of these
women still ARE in abusive relationships.  Some are forced to have sex and
do things against their will.  But they do it because of the nature of their
personalities and the relationships they are a part of.  So when a baby
results and it's time to breastfeed, it's all just too much.  I have
personally *heard* fathers (on two occasions) say, "There'll be no
breastfeeding in my house.  Those breasts are MINE."  Yes, they say it
whilst smiling and laughing, but one has to wonder what the ramifications
are of such a statement.

When a mother wants to EP, I think she needs 100% support and
encouragement.  We never know what has led her to that decision and if she
is still willing, despite any abusive past, to give her baby EBM, that
really, really needs to be supported.

Christina Harris, RN
Seattle, WA