From:
Cabot Strange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 22:36:11 -0400
My name is Cabot Strange and I am a nursing student at Ivy Tech community
College in Indianapolis, IN.  I have been doing research on the chemical
Formaldehyde and have found many alarming facts.  In reading an
unpublished paper by Penny Lane I have come to understand that
formaldehyde causes major irritation to the mucous membranes of the
conjunctiva, skin, and upper respiratory tract as a vapor and can be
absorbed by all surfaces of the body.  Through reading this paper I have
also realized that 99% of formaldehyde found in the environment is in
water.  This paper also states that the chemical formaldehyde is found in
many houses in the glues used
to make press board (or OSB) and some of the insulation.  It has also been
revealed to me that exposure to formaldehyde during the development of a
zygote  has been shown to have adverse effects such as having two times
the increase in pre and post implantation mortality, raising the chances
of spontaneous abortions.  This paper also states that woodworkers and
cosmetologists have an increased risk in delayed conception and
spontaneous abortion.  This paper has also brought to my attention that
research from Japanese and Russian studies concluded that formaldehyde
crosses the placenta going to the fetus.  This has a direct affect on the
enzyme function in the mitochondria, lysosomes, and endoplasmic reticulum
along with causing birth defects.  Some of the birth defects revealed were
cryptochordism and a delay in ossification centers of the metacarpus and
metatarsal bones.  The question I have after reading these alarming facts
is, if a women is exposed to formaldehyde will it get into the breast milk
and should she breast feed the baby?