From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:28:35 -0500
Trying to keep this short,  I am leaving out some details which I hope are
not necessary for some insight, but if you need more details just let me
know.

What illness would cause a 4 month old to have frequent, very dark green
stools the consistency of ketchup, not frothy looks a little loose jelly
like but really ketchup consistency describes it best.  Baby was gaining
weight well, then had an ear infection and was treated with antibiotics.
Infant continued to maintain and very slowly gain but over the past 10 days
infant has not gained, weight has fluctuated between +2 ounces and -2
ounces.  Infant has been having these stools for about 3-4 weeks.   Baby has
also been very fidgety and fussy.  When mom first told me of the stools she
reported a fussy infant with loose green stools.  I pictured what I usually
see when someone says loose green stools. My first suggestions were to
evaluate for ear infection (which the baby had) and then the doctor
suggested baby might be teething so I gave mom suggestions for that.  Baby's
intake on test weights has been up and down but always adequate or above for
weight.  Today I had the chance to see the stool in person.  It was about a
1/2 cup or more of very dark green ketchup.  I advised mom to call the ped,
but the ped says that it is normal and not to worry won't see baby until
next week.  Baby has no fever, no rash, no other symptoms.    Mom is
worried, this is her 3rd baby, she had one bout of decreased milk at the
beginning with this baby, probably because she was moving and running around
with the other 2 children both under 4 when her baby was just a few days
old.  (military) That was resolved quickly with usual suggestions to
increase supply.  Mom did take Lactaflow, that was about 2-3 weeks of age
and she took it for about a week.  Mom has also used Mother's Milk Tea, she
continued to drink this on occasion after her initial supply problem was
resolved,  She did start drinking the Mothers Milk Tea again after the ear
infection cleared up since the baby was not nursing very well and she was
concerned her supply would go down.

I tried to find a picture that looks like what this baby is doing but I just
can not find one.  Any ideas?
Pam Price IBCLC, CBE
Lactation Services Coordinator
Women's Health