From:
Valerie Banarie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 22:36:36 -0500
I don't know how you all get the email to reprint the part of the email you
are responding to, so I'll just respond.  What I meant to say is that I just
don't waste time trying to convince Jewish parents not to circumcise.  But it
is a great point you make, Heidi, and one that I need think about.  Everyone
chooses "their hill to die on", or their line to hang on, to probably
mis-quote Kathleen.  I have tremendous problems with the Ezzo philosophy and
unfortunately come across it very often in So. California.  I don't delve
into the religious aspects of it at all, because not being a Christian my
knowledge of scripture is very poor.  I do say things like "I understand your
desire to follow a system you believe in.  Let me just say that medically it
is known that... " and continue with "looking at each nursing dyad, and
individual mom and baby in the dyad, I consider all recommendations to be
guidelines, and not hard and fast rules, because individual differences need
to be taken into account."  I'm sure (at least I hope!) I don't sound like
such a 'droid when talking to actual people, but I don't go into the
mothering aspects, because I learned the hard way, as mentioned by someone
earlier, that these people don't really care about my opinions of their
parenting. I do feel bad for the babies though, and try to inject as much
modeling as I can regarding holding the babies, etc.  I have come right out
and said that I disagree with the Ezzo's breastfeeding ideas, and have asked
the mom to work with me, that I would tell her what I know to be true about
breastfeeding, and that if she is uncomfortable with doing what I suggest,
she needs to be honest  and tell me that- a plan of care is only good if
people are going to follow it, no matter how well intentioned it might be.

I hope I finally have gotten the subject part right. :)