Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:02:53 EDT
This is in response to Jan's comment about her job as an LC with a peds
practice.  I too work as an LC -  as a practitioner, with 5  wonderful
pediatricians.  It is truly the greatest job to have the autonomy as well as
the tremendous support from the doctors.  I see all the newborns in the
practice to help /assist with the breastfeeding on that first visit to doctor
around day 3 or 5, but what is incorporated is a "parenting-feeding"
consultation as well - baby care with demonstration. I even then "take care"
of the ones who chose formula and instruct on feeds, although there are not
many of them.  I am set up in the office with a room with the comforts of
home, and the doctor always comes in afterwards for the "blessing".
My boss has had an IBCLC in his office for the last 10 yrs - no one else
around here has really had this set up, hopefully it will catch on.  Parents
come to our practice because of the well known lactation support, and we are
very busy.  Insurances are much more willing to pay when there is a Dr sign
off under mine, and parents are willing to pay a copay more than out of
pocket - so more LC exposure.  I really do think that LC's in the office
setting will truly allow the dr and the moms to get the full benefit of
having the assistance in the crucial early days of breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
Holly McClain RN, IBCLC
Chevy Chase, MD