From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:06:43 -0800
Cindi, I think Linda Smith's post said it very well but I just felt the
need to add something. You say in your post, "we counseled them that it
might take 24-48 hours to increase supply to meet demand." That
statement is dependent upon how much formula was being given to this
baby.  If it was 1-2 ounces per 24 hours, then that's close to the
mark.  But if this infant was being given much more formula than that,
then it will take a longer time to get the supply up to the needs of the
infant.  I tell moms that are relactating that on the "average" plan on
decreasing formula by 2 or 3 ounces for 2-3 days and continue this plan
until you get to the last few ounces(which may take longer to eliminate
because of it being a major step psychologically--going to exclusive
breastfeeding).  This time table can be shortened or lengthened
depending on whether the mom is willing and able to pump.  Valerie W.
McClain, IBCLC