From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:28:12 +0000
Hi Judy,
I feel for you. It is extremely hard to influence physicians to change their
usual practices and try something different in order to protect
breastfeeding. In my experience, it is the pediatricians that are giving the
orders or informal orders to d/c bf while on demerol.
One approach would be to ask to present some information at a joint OB/peds
meeting, if there is such a joint session. Present some options for
acceptable analgesia. Some options might be morphine, PCA pumps, leaving the
epidural catheter in w/ duramorph I think, or even to encourage moms to bf
first then take the pain med right after.
If most moms attend prenatal classes, you could mention this problem to
them, so that they can discuss w/ their docs that they don't want demerol
ordered. Maybe they can all say they are allergic to it, then they would
have to be given something else!
Good luck. Hope to see you in Sept at LLCA conf.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA