From:
Angela Hartfelder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:33:58 -0500
I find the pacifier debates to be similar to the bed sharing debates.  Parents are going to do it. Some of them will ask their doctor (or lactation consultant) about it because they want to do so safely or "right". But in the end, they will make their decision based on what works best for them and their situation.

On the more personal front, since we're all sharing, My oldest never thumb sucked, not would she take a pacifier. She inherited some wonderful teeth though, which are strong and straight. Never a cavity, and beautiful gums, despite her less than stellar oral hygiene practices, and affinity for sugar. She was breastfeed a whole 2 weeks, and got ABM after that. My middle child sucked her thumb in utero (I still have a sono picture of it!) and had no problems finding her thumb shortly after birth in the hospital. She nursed exclusively for 6 months, was the picture of health, wellness, and happiness, and continued to love her thumb. I got her to switch to a binkie quite easily, and she gave it up herself around 15 months. She inherited bad teeth prone to cavities and crowding that required braces, despite her good hygiene and diet. My youngest has nursed for over 2 years, adored his binkie until he gave it up around 18 months, and thus far has perfect teeth with no signs of cavities or misalignments

Angela Hartfelder IBCLC, RLC