From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 15:00:00 GMT
Hi everyone
I saw an interesting case the other day which I would love some input into. Mother
is 6 months pregnant with first baby, and almost since becoming pregnant has had
episodes of extreme pain and blanching of her nipples. This occurs at least once
every day, any time, any place. She has found some relief from warmth applied
quickly once pain begins, but if she leaves it too long, it seems to worsen
things. If left untreated, pain lasts 30-60 mins and is awful. She has no
history of connective tissue disease or raynauds. The weather here is beautiful,
so cold air isn't the culprit. She is extremely anxious that she won't be able
to breastfeed as her nipples will be too sore. I have suggested reducing caffeine
and using magnesium, but am dubious about nifedipine in a pregnant lady.
Any usful hints would be appreciated.

BTW, when we talk about medication, could we please use the proper name, rather
than brand name, as many of them are different in Australia and we all feel
most confused :)

Fiona Coombes
Family Physician  IBCLC
Perth